Monday, May 17, 2010

The Dream Remakes Aaliyah's 'One In A Million', Why?

So, I had to take a few deep breaths before putting my fingers on my keyboard to hammer out this post because with sincere honesty, my initial decision was to hand The Dream his a$$ in a pretty pink Musically Yummy bow but that would have been mean and I am looking to highlight the good as well as the awful.


The Dream remade the late singer Aaliyah's hit single "One In A Million." The song is reportedly set to appear on his forthcoming mixtape Love Sessions.

When I first came across the audio and saw the title I automatically hated it. It's not that I am against The Dream remaking a song, I'm just against anyone trying to remake anything Aaliyah, unless it were for a tribute album. Because I wanted to give an objectionable viewpoint on the track, I pressed play with an open mind...


...and it was not the toast...

Auto-tune turned up, off-pitch notes, the moment was one I wouldn't enjoy having again.

Obviously, some of us are going to be a bit overprotective. This is a song that was made popular by Aaliyah and one of the best penned songs from Timbaland and Missy Elliot. And now that she is gone, keeping her songs untouched should have been the goal for everyone just out of respect and if one were to cover it, blow it out of the water. But The Dream didn't bring anything else to the table besides mediocre vocals and notes he had little business trying to hit.

I mean, thanks for the refresher on how hot the song was but this version makes me appreciate the original version even more. So with that said, Thanks Dream!


OS

Post a Comment

On the charts...