Monday, January 3, 2011

Jazmine Sullivan Says She's Taking A Break From Music

Apparently, Jazmine caught the celebrity twitter fever and went on a 140 characters or less confession about how she's ready to take a break from music.

According to the tweets (that were later deleted, classic), Jazmine explained how she wanted to find out who she is without a mic or pen in her hand and that she promised herself that once she felt creating and recording music wasn't fun anymore, she would stop.

The deleted tweets read,

"i’m making an official announcement that i am taking a break from music. i’m trying to figure out who i am… w/out a mike, paper or pen. i promised myself when it wasn’t fun anymore i wouldn’t do it. and here i am.

i’m not saying i wont ever sing again in my life becuz i dont believe that. but in this moment… rt now… i got some things to figure out.

i love u all and appreciate u soooooo much. u have no idea how much u’ve inspired me and fed my ego. but the truth is that i have to believe in me whether you all do or not. and thats what i’m lookin for. that belief in myself. me. I. i love us. thanks for being here for me and riding with me on this journey. let us continue."
According to reports, the sales from her sophomore effort Love Me Back were low. The album sold 57,000 copies in its first week and charted at number 17 on Billboards Hot 200. But this isn't that big of a drop from her debut LP Fearless which sold 67,000 the first week of its release.

Jazmine needs to stick it out. It was her sophomore album which means things will only get better. Throwing in the towel instead of meeting that challenge to do better the next time around isn't commendable. But if she needs time off to "find herself" which probably means supplying even better music, by all means break out that flashlight.

Interestingly, a track titled "I'm Not A Robot" from Jazmine leaked soon after those tweets and the lyrics are in close relation to her situation. [Listen]

Post a Comment

On the charts...