Friday, September 18, 2009

VH1 Divas Recap: Hit or Miss?


VH1 Divas returned to VH1 after a five year hiatus last night and the Diva line-up was without a doubt different from the Diva line-up in VH1'a past (which has been Mariah Carey, Diana Ross, Chaka Khan, and even Brandy to name a few). The VH1 corresponder during the night kept on saying the same thing I was thinking "Divas are not supposed to be so nice", she should have told that to VH1 who did the casting. Then again, they can only pick what music has to offer.

Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis, Adele, Miley Cirus, and Jordin Sparks were the selection for VH1 Divas 09'.

When I first found out that Kelly Clarkson, Miley Cirus, and Jordin Sparks were going to be Divas I thought for sure that there was some behind the scenes business going on with Disney and American Idol. I mean...Paula Abdul was the host, that might have been a bone thrown by Simon.

These girls, though have a cult following of devoted fans, wouldn't know the true meaning of Diva if it were stamped on the insides of their eyelids and yet they were selected.

Jennifer Hudson, who in personal opinion is the only real Diva in the line-up, was added at the very last minute. The great thing the girls did that help lighten up my tough critique, was that they redefined the meaning of what Diva meant to them.

Going into the episode I had already rated the special a fail. Although I love me some Kelly Clarkson and Jordin Sparks and heart Leona Lewis, Adele, and Jennifer Hudson's voices, I was convinced that this year's Divas was going to leave a bad taste on my eye because of their diluted line-up; I have to say that the finished product wasn't that bad.

There were special appearances from Sheryl Crow who was drowned out by Miley Cirus's excessive yelling...I mean singing...during their duet, my favorite artist Stevie Wonder who sang with Jennifer Hudson a definite ear treat, India Arie who sang with Adele (Adele has a whole lot of soul), Martina Mcbride duet with Jordin Sparks, Melissa Etheridge sang with Kelly Clarkson and brought the house down, and Leona Lewis meshed well with Cyndi Lauper on stage.

Though this special was very different from VH1 Diva's past, I was just happy to see familiar TV again. We have been so buried under mountains of reality TV, that scripted tv shows have become practically nonexistent. The Diva special was refreshing because it allowed us to see what artists do best, sing.

Post a Comment

On the charts...