Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Keyshia Cole Admits That 'I Aint Thru' Was A Bad Choice For Her Lead Single

It seems one of Nicki Minaj's many collaborators are having a change of heart after having her on their single.

Singer Keyshia Cole recently spoke with the Associated Press about her new album Calling All Hearts that was released yesterday. The album that has been described as soulful might have been given a bad first impression thanks to Keyshia's lead single, "I Ain't Thru."

According to Keyshia, her label disagreed with her decision to release "I Ain't Thru" as her lead single because they knew that her fans wanted the usual Keyshia who puts out soulful and relatable songs. But she felt she needed to make a statement with "I Ain't Thru."

In her words,

"The label didn't really want to drop the record because they knew ... that people wanted a more intense, soulful record from me about love and I really should have followed (their) direction," she said. "But I wanted that to be a statement record. It's like saying, 'I'm doing me, you know. I don't have no regrets for nothing that I'm doing.'" [Source]
I guess I'm just a bit lost because I didn't really feel Keyshia had anything to prove. When she released the single and I heard the lyrics, I was trying to figure out what was the point of the song. It's kind of like the new fad of artists giving more attention to their "haters" and less to the people that actually support them, but I digress.

We all know why Nicki was put on the track and why the decision to make that a lead single was made, it's clear as day.

"I Ain't Thru" peaked at No. 58 on Billboard's R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart -- it has yet to break into the Hot 100 charts.

Post a Comment

On the charts...