Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Is Kanye West Being Artistic Or Controversial?

Photo Credit: @KanyeWest

Earlier this week, Kanye West made headlines after he tweeted a photo of the possible album art for his new album My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy. Of course, views regarding the album art were split with some reiterating his "this is art" claim and others just coming to the conclusion that Kanye is in another universe.

I happen to agree with the latter...

Kanye went on a mini tirade about the banning of the cover stating "Yoooo they banned my album cover!!!!! Ima tweet it in a few...In the 70s album covers had actual nudity... It's so funny that people forget that... Everything has been so commercialized now...I wanna sell albums but not at the expense of my true creativity..."

West also brought up how Nirvana, a 90's grunge-rock band, had a "naked human being" on their album cover and had little problems with the cover being banned. But now he wants to put out an album that has a naked...something...on the cover and it's a problem.
This is the Nirvana cover I assume he's referring to...


I see his point, but his album cover is just plain scary. I'm talking inducing of nightmares scary. The faces alone on the cover is uncomfortable. Then you add the wings, tail and no arms..yeah.
When I first saw Kanye's album cover I had to do a double take because I thought my eyes were fooling me. Beyond the nudity, which to me didn't really matter, I thought the damn thing was just plain disturbing, sorry to sound redundant. 

When push comes to shove, people can label it art and all will be well with the world, right?

I believe Kanye's decision to make that art his album cover was done for pure shock value. At this point in the game, I think that Kanye is banking on controversy when he doesn't even need it, his talent gets enough attention. I'm probably the biggest Kanye fan out there. Check out my past blog posts and you'll see that I was sticking by Hip-Hop's problem child's side despite all the insult hurling following VMA-gate.

But this...this right here is just too much for me.

Controversy sells, yes, but just like beauty it fades after awhile. 

And the whole "this is art" thing, just stop it and call a spade a spade...

Post a Comment

On the charts...