Friday, June 25, 2010

Remembering Michael Jackson One Year Later [Videos]

The day I found out Michael Jackson passed away, I was in the bank getting my finances in order when I overheard a conversation between two bank tellers. One of the tellers had nonchalantly mentioned that she heard that Michael Jackson died. I automatically assumed that it was a homemade rumor only because in my mind (as crazy as it might sound) I didn't think it was possible.



After leaving the bank, a car went whizzing past me blasting Michael Jackson's "Rock With You." At the time I thought it was ironic that I had just heard the "gossip" regarding Michael and now this car was playing his song. Literally a few minutes later, I received an e-mail confirming Michael's passing.

I was shocked.

I knew that Michael wasn't the healthiest of them all but he sure could fool me when he got on stage. A few weeks before his death, he announced that he would be performing a 50-date gig at the O2 Arena in London. I had my doubts about the lengthy gig, but deep down I thought for sure that he would have pulled it off, just as he did in the past.

The minute others got wind of his passing, people started rummaging through their album collections searching for their Michael Jackson LP's to play in remembrance of the "King of Pop."


I didn't have to search far because it was already in my CD changer.

Michael Jackson's music was influential in so many ways. A lot of the artists that we see today were young Michael Jackson fans that tried their hardest to mimic his style and his moves.


Michael gave his all when it came to music. You could tell that it was more than just the monetary benefits that gave Michael his drive to create timeless classics. He did it for the pure bliss of entertaining his followers.


It's crazy to believe that it has already been a year. What's even crazier is that Michael had to go before some people could cherish what he left.

To many of us, Michael was like a superhero. There weren't many entertainers that could dance like him or who could have paramedics on stand-by in case a fan passed out at the sight of them .

Michael had the type of star power that was undeniable, untouchable even.


We ought to be thankful for what he has done for music and entertainment as a whole, because he has set the bar so high that only the best will be able to reach his level.

Post a Comment

On the charts...