Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rihanna Says 'I Hate Product Placement, It Ruins Music'

With the announcement of her 2010 North American Tour, fans and music observers have either been happy about the announcement or not really moved.

For those of you who are stoked about getting your hands on the tickets when they go on sale on Friday, don't expect to see any product placement at any of Rihanna's shows or in her videos if she has any say because the "Rude Boy" singer says that she doesn't like them.



In a recent interview with a UK website, Rihanna spoke about how product placements in artist music videos and how she believes that the videos should not be an avenue for advertising but should instead be a source to tell the story of the song.

She told NME: "I don’t like things to be so commercial. I hate product placement in my videos. Videos should just tell the story of the song.

"With product placement it becomes this big ad campaign. I just don't like that. Sometimes we have to, for whatever political reason, but it's never my first choice. "

The 22-year-old also revealed that when recording her previous album, Good Girl Gone Bad, her label was unaware of what she was recording in the studio.

She said: "After my first two albums I just said, ‘I’m ready to do it my way, completely.'

"So a few of us went into the studio, cut my hair, dyed it black. The label hadn’t seen anything, they didn’t know what was going on.

"The mystique I have kept has been because I don’t say a lot. There are a lot of rumors about me, every day it’s something new." [Source]

I definitely agree with Rihanna when she speaks about product placement in videos and how they are getting tacky. Every time I see that Nuvo bottle in a video I cringe.

I do have to call B.S. on her taking credit for cutting her hair, dying it black and being rebellious against the industry when it has been widely said that the whole look was concocted by her label that were desperate to push her as an act that was distinctive and original.

When she came out, everyone including her were trying to duplicate the success of Beyonce so much so that they were becoming little Beyonce's (look, performance style and all) ripping pages out of the blueprint that made her successful.

Either way the image change helped a lot, but let's keep it real here Missy, product placement is the last of our worries when it comes to what is ruining music. I think that the lack of gifted singers and the increase of popular sex kittens was the final ingredient that expired music.

Post a Comment

On the charts...