Sunday, April 18, 2010

NEWS // Lady Gaga, Grace Jones Wants You To Stop Copying Her Style

We've been here before so none of this will sound new with the exception of the characters that are involved. In a recent interview with the Guardian newspaper, Grace Jones expressed her opinion regarding Lady Gaga and the similarities in her style with Grace's.



When asked what her thoughts were about Gaga, Grace responded by saying "I really don't think of her at all. I go about my business."

Grace's animosity comes from her believing that Gaga has stolen certain elements of her style attempting to make it her own. 

"Well, you know, I've seen some things she's worn that I've worn, and that does kind of piss me off," Grace says when asked about the accusations.

Don't think that Lady Gaga and Grace Jones will be collaborating on a new project. Though Grace admits that Gaga has approached her with the idea of a collaboration, Grace isn't interested in the least bit.

When asked if she would like to work with Lady Gaga, Grace responded with a "I'd just prefer to work with someone who is more original and someone who is not copying me, actually."

Hmmm...OK, at least she is honest.

I think that a lot of artists can concur with Grace's opinions when it comes to seeing the similarities of their style in others.

Artists no matter who they are and what genres they represent are inspired by other artists. Some artists are bold enough to duplicate the style they like while others take the style they like and add twists and their own originality in an effort to make it their own.

Surely, Grace was inspired by other artists before her time or maybe even art that was painted or sculpted by artists before her time.

On the other hand, I feel where Grace is coming from. I believe the main thing that is upsetting Grace is the fact that the style she is said to have pioneered is being used and profited off of, without her seeing a dime.

That would probably piss me off too.

I do find it silly to spit fire over something that other people have pointed out. I do wonder if Grace were to come out again and gain the same notoriety she did during earlier decades, if she would care if Gaga was jacking?

Am I wrong to always think of this scene when I hear Grace Jones' name? [NSFW]

3 Reactions:

Aaron Poehler said...

And Grace Jones' most recent hit single was....

Anonymous said...

@ Aaron

Right?! I notice that it is mostly these has beens that are having problems with these artists who are dominating the scene. GET OVER IT GRACE!!

Lola said...

Come from your own style. Grace may not have a recent hit, but she is a seminal artist and worthy of respect. It is plagiarism to steal from one or another then claim the credit and praise. As for those who think that the current only holds credibility, what you like now will be in the dustbin of the future. Grace is still doing shows and getting her money. Word!

Post a Comment

On the charts...