Thursday, January 14, 2010

Teddy Pendergrass Passes Away At Age 59


It has been confirmed that legendary soul singer Teddy Pendergrass has passed away at the age of 59.

According to sources, Teddy, who was paralyzed after a 1982 car accident, passed away after his long battle with colon cancer. The singer had undergone surgery 8 months ago but had a difficult time recovering from the procedure.



I have been a fan of Teddy Pendergrass for as long as I can remember. I thank my parents mostly because they exposed my baby ears to the sounds of classic R&B long before I could even talk and because of that my iPod is filled with more of the classics than of the "new school" R&B.

It is legends like Teddy that paved the way for artists like Usher and Trey Songz to take R&B to where it is today. Way before the aforementioned artists, R&B could not be heard anywhere else besides the bars or nightclubs. Now, R&B is one of the popular and top selling genres all thanks to artists like Teddy Pendergrass.

He will be missed but not forgotten as he has left behind a collection of classics that will continue to play at family cookouts, weddings, parties and of course the classic blame for making babies.



SideBar: This was during the time when women used to throw their panties up on the stage, now they just throw themselves.

Post a Comment

On the charts...